In a call from the FIA on Friday, it was confirmed that CRB had unanimously decided that Piastri’s agreement with McLaren was its only valid deal for next year after Alpine had intended to set him in the race seat next year.
McLaren followed up on this news by announcing that Piastre will join the team on a multi-year deal from 2023, completing its lineup alongside Lando Norris.
“I am very excited to be participating in Formula One for the first time with such a prestigious team as McLaren and I am very grateful for the opportunity,” said Piastre.
“The team has a long tradition of giving young talent a chance, and I look forward to working hard alongside Lando to push the team towards the front of the grid. I am focused on preparing for my F1 debut in 2023 and starting my Formula One career in Papaya.”
Oscar Biestre, Alpine A521
Photo by: Mark Sutton/Motorsport Pictures
The news puts an end to the decade saga that has been embroiled at Piastri and Alpine in recent weeks, sparked by Fernando Alonso’s decision to leave Alpine for Aston Martin in 2023.
Albin announced that Piastri would race for the team next year the day after Alonso announced his exit, only for Piastri to deny he would race for the team next year.
The CRB ruling revealed that Piastri and McLaren signed an agreement on July 4 – the Monday after the British Grand Prix – which is understood to have been a fallback deal for next year.
But with Daniel Ricciardo out of McLaren since the deal, the deal could be upgraded for a full race seat.
In a short statement, Alpine said: “We consider the matter closed on our part and will announce the full lineup for the 2023 drivers in due course.
“Our immediate focus is the Dutch Grand Prix and securing points in our fight for fourth place in the constructors’ championship.”
He leaves Alpine in search of a driver for Esteban Ocon’s team partner for next year and means he will lose his free Piastri at the end of the season. Had CRB been ruling in Alpine’s favour, McLaren would have needed to strike a deal with the team to terminate his contract for next year.
Motorsport.com revealed last week that Alpine was interested in signing Pierre Gasly and was in talks with Red Bull about a deal for the Frenchman, who will sign with AlphaTauri for next year.
Piastre will make his Formula 1 debut next year with McLaren after a glittering junior career that saw him win F3 and F2 titles in successive years before becoming the reserve driver in the Alps for 2022.
“Oscar is one of the rising talents coming through the Formula One nutrient chain and we are thrilled to see him join the team for 2023,” said Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren Racing.
“Winning both F3 and F2 in back-to-back Junior seasons is a real achievement and a testament to his talent in single seat racing.
“At Lando and Oscar we have a young and exciting F1 squad with a huge amount of potential, which puts us well positioned to achieve our future ambitions. Oscar is an exciting addition to the McLaren family, and we look forward to seeing him grow with the Formula One team.”
#Piastre #compete #McLaren #CRB #ruling